SPY ETF Trade Setup
We are opening an October expiration month SPY Iron Condor.
SPY closed at $116.05 on Thursday (23 days to October expiration)
SPY is priced BELOW its current 14-day EMA (see SPY chart down below)
SPY is trading BELOW its 20-day Bollinger Band SMA, and 50-day simple moving average (see SPY chart)
SPY is BELOW its 200-day simple moving average (see SPY chart)
Relative Strength Indicator (RSI) is neutral (See SPY chart)
Moving Average Convergence/Divergence (MACD) is neutral (See SPY chart)

30 day Historical Volatility is 30.81%, Implied Volatility is 36.97% - - both numbers are near the upper level of their 52-week range which is considered bearish
Upper range standard deviation is .84162, the lower range is -.84162
Use the number of days to expiration, volatility number and the standard deviation to calculate the 80% statistical probability for the option price to close within our short strikes at expiration.

We want the SPY Bear Call spread short strike to exceed defined resistance levels :
$122.50 calculated based on previous intraday highs and technical resistance levels
$124.00 equals the upper price level of our 80% statistical probability range
$122.00 is the upper level of the Bollinger Band – Upper solid purple line in the SPY chart below

The Bull Put spread short strike price should be below defined support levels :
$112.00 calculated based on previous intraday lows and technical support levels
$108.00 equals the lower price level of our 80% statistical probability range
$113.00 is the lower Bollinger Band level – Lower solid purple line in the SPY chart below

We want the SPY Iron Condor to generate a minimum .50 net credit on each leg AND we prefer that the short strikes fit our statistical probability profile (80% chance all the options will expire worthless and we get to keep most of the sold premium). The spread in tables below comply with our trading rules for initiating the October expiration month option series SPY Iron Condor (based on Thursday's closing prices). The recommendation is to submit an order to purchase/sell the option strikes prices below. Please confirm the correct option symbols with your broker.

Premium Credit $1.49
Total Option Premium Received $2,980 (Excludes commissions and fees)
Maximum Risk $7,020
Margin Requirement $10,000
20 contracts traded on each leg (number of contracts can be increased or decreased based on risk tolerance and/or funds available to trade; this will impact Total Premium Received, Maximum Risk amount, and Margin Required)

Exit Plan
As with initiating the trade, the decision process for exiting our Iron Condor position will be simple:

Anytime the market maker is willing to accept a limit price of less than .11 on one of our short strikes, buy back all the short contracts and sell the long positions on the same spread. However, if it is a few days prior to the expiration date, we may be able to hold out for a .05 bid.

If one of our short strikes is penetrated (closing price above our short call or below the short put) AND the delta rises to .65 we will look to close out this spread (buy the short contracts, sell the long) and roll it out to another short strike price. Unless this is option expiration week, do not panic and rush to close the trade, many times the market will reverse itself and remove the sense of urgency. If one of our short strikes has been violated and there is no price reversal, we cut our losses and live to fight another day.

Exiting this position prior to expiration we will probably “leg out” of each trade by first unwinding either the bear call spread or the bull put spread; and close out the other side of the spread as a separate order. The timing of closing out each side of the Iron Condor is dependent on following our Exit Rules described above.

Final Comment
If stock prices drop tomorrow then we may delay doing the call spread and will probably initiate the put spread at lower strike prices with a similar risk profile as described above. Conversely, if stocks gap up tomorrow the put spread may not be available and we may have an opportunity to execute the call spread at higher strike prices. BUT if stocks gap down sharply tomorrow we should hold off on the entire trade for a few days until prices stabilize.

Gregory Clay

Couch Potato Trader Disclaimer
All results reported in this section are hypothetical. While the numbers represented here may have been achieved or beaten by our readers, we make no representation that any individual investor achieved these exact results. The tracking for the plays listed in this section uses closing prices for the day the newsletter is published and it is not meant to imply that any reader actually received those prices (though many often do) or participated in these recommendations (even though many do). The portfolio represented here is hypothetical and for investment education purposes only. It is only an illustration of what type of gains a knowledgeable trader might receive utilizing these strategies. If you don't get close to these results, guess what. It isn't the fault of the strategies.