Dominion - D - close: 78.66 change: +0.61 stop: 74.99
The market's upward momentum slowed today and shares of D, a defensive stock, experienced another decent gain. Today's session saw D breakout and close over minor resistance at the $78.00 level. We remain bullish and continued to target the $81.00-82.00 range although more conservative types may want to exit near $80.00. Please note that we do not want to hold over D's early August earnings report.
Picked on July 17 at $ 76.05
EOG Resources - EOG - close: 71.83 chg: +2.45 stop: 67.49
Our bullish play in EOG is now open. The stock continued to rally on Wednesday and shares broke through resistance at its 200-dma with a 3.5% gain. The MACD indicator on the daily chart is nearing a new buy signal. Our trigger to buy calls was at $71.01. Our target is the $77.50 level but readers should bear in mind that we plan to exit on Monday afternoon (July 31st) to avoid holding over the company's earnings report on Tuesday.
Picked on July 26 at $ 71.01
General Dynamics - GD - cls: 67.99 chg: -1.39 stop: 67.45
Shares of GD hit some profit taking on Wednesday and the stock erased a good chunk of Tuesday's gain. We remain on the sidelines. Our strategy involves a trigger to buy calls at $70.05 to catch a bullish breakout over resistance at the $70.00 level. If triggered our target is the $74.50-75.00 range. The P&F chart for GD already points to a $75 target.
Picked on July xx at $ xx.xx <-- see TRIGGER
Goldman Sachs - GS - close: 147.38 chg: -1.11 stop: 141.79
The trend in GS today was mostly sideways and volume came in pretty low. We remain bullish but if the major averages pull back tomorrow then GS could dip towards the $145 region. More aggressive traders may want to try and buy a bounce from the $145 level. More conservative traders may want to heed our previous suggestion and wait for a breakout over $150. Our target is the $154.00-155.00 range. Conservative types may want to put their stop closer to $145.
Picked on July 25 at $148.05
The Houston Exp. - THX - cls: 63.32 chg: +0.72 stop: 59.99
Oil stocks continued to show relative strength on Wednesday and THX added another 1.15%. We would have liked to have seen stronger volume on the bullish breakout above resistance. Our target is the $67.50-70.00 range. We do not want to hold over the early August earnings report. FYI: The Point & Figure chart is bullish and points to a $76 target.
Picked on July 25 at $ 62.60
Apollo Group - APOL - close: 46.63 chg: -0.96 stop: 50.05
The bounce in APOL appears to have failed at its descending 10-dma. This looks like a new entry point to buy puts but we're not suggesting new positions at this time. One reason is that APOL already looks significantly oversold. Secondly, the stock is nearing our target in the $45.50-45.00 range. On the other hand the stock is sinking under its March lows and the Point & Figure chart is bearish with a $36 target. More conservative traders may want to consider tightening their stops into the $49.00-48.75 region. We're leaving ours at $50.05 for now.
Picked on July 09 at $ 49.92
Chicago Merc. - CME - close: 450.00 change: - 5.25 stop: n/a
We don't see any changes from our Tuesday update on CME. The stock is still sinking and the pattern looks bearish, especially on the weekly chart. We're not suggesting new put plays but aggressive traders might want to consider positions on a drop below Tuesday's low ($446). Currently we're aiming for a decline into the $420-400 range.
Picked on July 23 at $452.00
IDEXX Labs - IDXX - close: 75.55 chg: +0.34 stop: 76.05
We are planning to exit tomorrow (Thursday) at the closing bell to avoid holding over IDXX's earnings report on Friday morning. Other than an official exit there are no changes from our previous updates on IDXX. The stock is inching closer to our stop loss and technical resistance at the 50-dma and the 200-dma. We've been suggesting for days now that traders exit early and lock in a profit. Our conservative target at $75.25 has already been hit and we're currently aiming for $72.50.
Picked on June 12 at $ 77.95
Manpower Inc. - MAN - close: 59.26 chg: -1.73 stop: 62.25
Good news! It looks like the oversold bounce in MAN has reversed. The stock produced a bearish engulfing candlestick pattern today. Plus, the close back under the $60 level is a positive move for the bears. This looks like a new entry point to buy puts. Our target is the $55.50-55.00 range. We suspect that the simple 200-dma near $55.00 will offer technical support.
Picked on July 20 at $ 59.42
Union Pacific - UNP - close: 83.10 chg: -1.14 stop: 87.01
Railroad stocks experienced more selling today. The Dow Jones railroad index lost over 4% as investors reacted to NSC's earnings report this morning. NSC actually missed Wall Street's estimates by 3 cents and came in light on revenues. Shares of UNP did not show as much weakness as we would have liked but the overall trend remains bearish. We have two targets. Our conservative target is $80.10. Our more aggressive target is the $77.65 level.
Picked on July 21 at $ 83.75
(What is a strangle? It's when a trader buys an out-of-the-money (OTM) call and an OTM put on the same stock. The strategy is neutral. You do not care what direction the stock moves as long as the move is big enough to make your investment profitable.)
Bausch Lomb - BOL - close: 48.52 change: +0.61 stop: n/a
BOL may not see the volatility we were expecting tomorrow. The only earnings date we had for BOL was Thursday, July 27th before the market's opening bell. Unfortunately, we can't confirm that date and honestly at this point we do NOT expect BOL to report earnings tomorrow. If you go to the company's website the table of dates for their earnings releases is blank. Whenever they report we would not open new positions after the company announces. Actually, at the moment, the stock is currently trading outside our suggested entry range (47.00-48.00) to open positions. Our estimated cost was $2.15. Our goal will be to sell if either option rises to $3.25 or more. More aggressive traders may want to aim higher. The options in our suggested strangle are the August $50 call (BOL-HJ) and the August $45 put (BOL-TI).
Picked on July 23 at $ 47.40
L-3 Comm. - LLL - close: 76.23 chg: -0.55 stop: n/a
LLL erased yesterday's gains and dipped to $75.58 before traders bought the dip at LLL's simple 50-dma. We do expect LLL to report earnings tomorrow morning so we're not suggesting new strangle positions at this time. Wall Street is looking for LLL to report earnings of $1.21 a share. Our estimated cost for the strangle was $1.35. We will plan to sell if either option rises to $2.25 or more. The options in our LLL strangle are the August $80 call (LLL-HP) and the August $70 put (LLL-TN).
Picked on July 23 at $ 75.26
3M Co. - MMM - close: 69.06 change: +0.95 stop: n/a
It's not a surprise but MMM did produce an oversold bounce today and that bounce failed under the $70.00 level. As broken support the $70 level should act as new resistance. Fueling the rebound this morning were some positive analyst comments on the stock. We are not suggesting new strangle plays at this time. Our estimated cost was $0.75. We are planning to exit if either options rises to $1.50 or more. The options in our strangle are the August 65 put (MMM-TM) and the August 75 call (MMM-HO).
Picked on July 23 at $ 70.72
Phelps Dodge - PD - close: 77.82 change: -1.61 stop: n/a
Uh-oh! PD did report earnings today and the market reaction was pretty under-whelming. The report was mixed. Not accounting for the various charges the company took earnings came in above estimates but revenues were a little bit less than expected. The stock spiked lower this morning but spent the rest of the day bouncing. While this lack of a reaction to earnings is a big blow to our strangle play we're not out of the game yet. PD is still trading inside a neutral pattern of higher lows and lower highs. This is a pattern that tends to produce a breakout one way or the other and the stock's trading is coiling more tightly so a breakout could be soon. While we are going to keep the play open more conservative traders may want to give some serious thought to exiting early right now since we didn't get any big move on the earnings news! Our estimated cost was at $2.15. We're planning to sell if either option rises to $3.15 or more. The options in our strangle are the August $85 call (DPB-HQ) and the August $70 put (PT-TN). We're not suggesting new positions.
Picked on July 23 at $ 77.20