Ambac Fincl. - ABK - close: 85.32 chg: +0.50 stop: 84.49*new*
Time is almost up. We plan to exit tomorrow (Tuesday) at the closing bell to avoid holding over ABK's earnings report due out on Wednesday. Wall Street is looking for ABK to turn in earnings of $1.78 a share. We are raising the stop loss toward today's low at $84.49. Our target was the $88-90 range but it doesn't look like ABK will make it.
Picked on October 04 at $ 84.40
BP Prudhoe Bay - BPT - close: 72.75 chg: -0.60 stop: 72.45
There is no change from our previous updates on BPT. The stock is still trading sideways and under multiple levels of resistance with the 50-dma, 200-dma and the $75 level still overhead. If we are triggered at $75.05 than our target is the $79.00-80.00 range. FYI: A move over $75 would produce a new Point & Figure chart buy signal.
Picked on October xx at $ xx.xx <-- see TRIGGER
Cerner Corp. - CERN - close: 46.59 chg: -0.36 stop: 46.45
CERN failed to experience any upside follow through on Friday's bullish engulfing candlestick pattern. This is negative especially considering the new relative highs in the DJIA and the S&P 500 on Monday. We remain on the sidelines and await a breakout over resistance at the $48.00 level. We're suggesting a trigger to buy calls at $48.05. If we don't see CERN move higher in the next couple of days we'll probably drop it as a bullish candidate. If triggered then our target is the $52.00-52.50 range. The $50.00 mark might offer some round-number resistance so expect a pull back on the initial test of $50. FYI: The Point & Figure chart projects a $76 target.
Picked on October xx at $ xx.xx <-- see TRIGGER
CIGNA - CI - close: 119.87 change: -0.03 stop: 117.75
We have to wave the yellow caution flag with CI as we may have been subject to a false start. Shares sprouted higher this morning and traded over resistance near the $120 level. The high today was $121.18 and our trigger to buy calls was at $120.25 so the play is now open. Unfortunately, the strength in CI was short lived and shares closed back under resistance at the 120 level thus we have a failed rally pattern. If the markets see any consolidation lower in the next two days as traders turn cautious due to the Fed meeting we could easily see CI hit our stop loss at $117.75. We would wait for another rise past $120.50 or $121.00 before considering new bullish positions again. Currently our target is the $125.00-127.00 range. More aggressive traders may want to put their stop under $116.
Picked on October 23 at $120.25
Carpenter Tech. - CRS - cls: 110.62 chg: +0.33 stop: 107.95*new*
CRS tried to bounce on Monday but the stock didn't get very far before the rally failed. We're planning to exit on Wednesday at the closing bell to avoid earnings the next day. Given our dwindling time frame we are raising the stop loss to $107.95. More conservative traders may want to exit now. Our target is the $118.00-120.00 range.
Picked on October 11 at $110.51
Devon Energy - DVN - close: 66.52 chg: -0.87 stop: 64.72
DVN posted another loss on Monday with a 1.6% decline. Oil stocks were weak on Monday thanks to another decline in crude oil futures. The stock did bounce from its rising 10-dma, which might normally be seen as a new bullish entry point, but given the relative weakness in oil stocks we'd hesitate about opening new positions right now. Our target is the $69.50-70.00 range. We do not want to hold over the November 1st earnings report.
Picked on October 15 at $ 64.72
EOG Resources - EOG - close: 66.11 chg: -0.14 stop: 64.95
EOG is another energy stock that suffered some profit taking today but the selling effect was mild as traders bought the dip near $65.00. This looks like a new bullish entry point buy calls but we're suggesting caution right now given the relative weakness in oil stocks. Our short-term target is the $69.50-70.00 range. More aggressive traders may want to aim higher. We do not want to hold over the October 31st earnings report.
Picked on October 16 at $ 66.05
Fortune Brands - FO - close: 75.25 chg: -0.25 stop: 74.84
There is no change from our weekend update on FO. The stock spent another session consolidating sideways in a narrow range. FO might be stuck trading sideways as investors wait for the company's upcoming earnings report. We're planning to exit on Thursday at the closing bell to avoid holding over Friday's earnings announcement. More conservative traders may want to exit early right now given today's relative weakness. We are not suggesting new positions. Our target is the $79.90-80.00 range.
Picked on October 13 at $ 76.26
Frontier Oil - FTO - close: 28.92 change: -0.73 stop: 26.99
FTO is another energy stock that slid lower on Monday thanks to weakness in crude oil futures. The stock has been trading sideways in a $28.70-30.00 trading range for over a week now. Traders have a choice when it comes to new entry points. They can wait for a move over $30.00 before initiating new call positions or they can look for another dip in the $29.00-28.00 region as a new entry point. Our target is the $32.50-33.00 range. We do not want to hold over the early November earnings report, which gives us less than two full weeks. FYI: The P&F chart is still bearish for FTO.
Picked on October 15 at $ 28.90
Vimpel Comm. - VIP - close: 63.60 chg: +0.44 stop: 59.95
VIP gapped lower again but traders quickly bought the dip and pushed shares into the green. Volume has been light the last few days and that might be a concern for the bulls. Most of the technical indicators are still bullish. More conservative traders may want to tighten their stops toward the $61.00 or $61.50 level. Our target is the $67.50-70.00 range. We do not want to hold over the mid-November earnings.
Picked on October 12 at $ 62.17
(What is a strangle? It's when a trader buys an out-of-the-money (OTM) call and an OTM put on the same stock. The strategy is neutral. You do not care what direction the stock moves as long as the move is big enough to make your investment profitable.)
Bear Stearns - BSC - cls: 151.59 chg: +1.40 stop: n/a
Our new strangle play in BSC gave us a few chances to open new positions on Monday. This morning the stock dipped to $149.94 before surging to $152.10. Then this afternoon shares dipped toward $150.40 before bouncing again. We are suggesting that readers consider strangle plays in the $149.00-151.00 range and the closer to $150.00 the better. The options in our strangle are the November 155 call (BSC-KK) and the November 145 put (BSC-WI). Our estimated cost was $4.00. We're planning to exit if either option rises to $6.00 or more.
Picked on October 22 at $150.19
ConocoPhillips - COP - close: 60.71 chg: -0.15 stop: n/a
COP offered us another entry point to open new strangle plays with the dip to $59.85. We've been suggesting potential entries in the $60.50-59.50 range with preferred entries at the $60.00 mark. COP's earnings are coming up on October 26th. We do plan on holding over the announcement. Our estimated cost was about $1.15. We are suggesting an exit if either option rise to $2.00 or more. Our suggested options were the November $65 call (COP-KM) and the November $55 put (COP-WK).
Picked on October 15 at $ 60.03
Beazer Homes - BZH - close: 41.43 change: -0.86 stop: 40.95
Danger! BZH is breaking down from its sideways consolidation. The stock lost just over 2% on Monday compared to a 1.1% decline in the homebuilder index. The stock did manage a meager bounce from short-term support near $41.00. The relative weakness in the homebuilders while the major averages are hitting new relative highs is definitely bearish. There is still a chance that the DJUSHB home construction index will bounce from support near 640 and there is a chance that BZH will bounce from support near $41.00. However, we're not going to bet on it. We're suggesting an early exit right now! We do not expect the FOMC to raise rates this week but they are likely to issue a hawkish commentary about potentially raising rates in the future to keep inflation under control and that would be negative for the homebuilders. Again, we're suggesting an exit now. We can always re-open positions on a bullish breakout over $43.00-43.25. More aggressive traders might want to consider keeping the play open with a stop loss under $41 or its 50-dma.
Picked on October 11 at $ 42.75
NCI Building Sys. - NCS - cls: 59.69 chg: -0.31 stop: 59.45
We have been stopped out of NCS. The stock was weak this morning and gapped open lower at $58.90 before bouncing back from its lows. We could not find any specific news to account for the gap down but it might be a reaction to a rival's earnings news. Unfortunately, our stop loss to exit was at $59.45 and the gap down at $58.90 should have produced an immediate exit.
Picked on October 16 at $ 61.26
Rockwell Automation - ROK - cls: 61.11 chg: +0.42 stop: 59.95
ROK gapped down this morning to open at $60.20 but traders were ready and bought the dip at $60.00 (today's low). The bounce was fueled by above average volume as investors made some last minute bets ahead of the company's earnings report. It was our plan to exit today at the closing bell to avoid holding over the earnings announcement after the bell today. Analysts were expecting earnings of 82 cents a share and ROK reported 97 cents. Revenues were under consensus estimates. There didn't appear to be a lot of after hours trading in ROK and what we did see was negligible.
Picked on October 12 at $ 60.86
Google - GOOG - close: 480.75 chg: +21.08 stop: $452.99
Target achieved/surpassed. GOOG opened higher at $462.28 and barely looked back all day with a 4.5% surge on strong volume. The stock closed at a new all-time high. We were suggesting that traders exit if the call side of our strangle hit $29.00. The November $440 call (GOP-KH) actually opened at $29.80 and traded to an intraday high of $49.13 before closing near $47.00. Our estimated cost was about $13.00.
Picked on October 01 at $401.90