TLT ETF Trade Setup
We are opening a July
expiration month 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund ETF (TLT) iron condor
TLT closed at $126.71 on Thursday (31 days to the July expiration)
TLT is priced ABOVE its current 14-day EMA (see TLT chart down below)
TLT is trading ABOVE its 20-day Bollinger Band SMA (see TLT chart)
TLT is priced ABOVE its 50-day simple moving average (see TLT chart)
TLT is ABOVE its 200-day simple moving average (see TLT chart)
Relative Strength Indicator (RSI) is bullish (See TLT chart)
Moving Average Convergence/Divergence (MACD) is bearish (See TLT chart)
30 day Historical Volatility is 16.26%, Implied Volatility is 15.94% - both numbers are near the middle of their 52-week range which is considered neutral
Use the number of days to expiration, implied volatility number and 2 standard deviations to calculate the 80% statistical probability for the option price to close within our short strikes at expiration.
We want the TLT Bear Call spread short strike to exceed defined resistance levels :
$130.00 calculated based on previous intraday highs and technical resistance levels
$131.00 equals the upper price level of our 80% statistical probability range
$129.66 is the upper level of the Bollinger Band â€“ Upper solid purple line in the TLT chart above
The TLT Bull Put spread short strike price should be below defined support levels :
$124.00 calculated based on previous intraday lows and technical support levels
$122.00 equals the lower price level of our 80% statistical probability range
$122.16 is the lower Bollinger Band level â€“ Lower solid purple line in the TLT chart above
We want the TLT Iron Condor to generate a minimum .50 net credit on each leg AND we prefer that the short strikes fit our statistical probability profile (80% chance all the options will expire worthless and we get to keep most of the sold premium). The spread in the tables below comply with our trading rules for initiating the July expiration month option series TLT Iron Condor (based on Thursday's closing prices). The suggestion is to submit an order to purchase/sell the option strikes prices below. Please confirm the correct option symbols with your broker.
Premium Credit $1.09
Total Option Premium Received $2,170 (Excludes commissions and fees)
Maximum Risk $7,830
Margin Requirement $10,000
20 contracts traded on each leg (number of contracts can be increased or decreased based on risk tolerance and/or funds available to trade; this will impact Total Premium Received, Maximum Risk amount, and Margin Required)
As with initiating the trade, the decision process for exiting our TLT Iron Condor position will be simple:
Anytime the market maker is willing to accept a limit price of less than .11 on one of our short strikes, buy back all the short contracts and sell the long positions on the same spread. However, if it is a few days prior to the expiration date, we may be able to hold out for a .05 bid.
If one of our short strikes is penetrated (closing price above our short call or below the short put) AND the delta rises to .65 we will look to close out this spread (buy the short contracts, sell the long) and roll it out to another short strike price. Unless this is option expiration week, do not panic and rush to close the trade, many times the market will reverse itself and remove the sense of urgency. If one of our short strikes has been violated and there is no price reversal, we cut our losses and live to fight another day.
Exiting these positions prior to expiration we will probably â€œleg outâ€ of each trade by first unwinding either the bear call spread or the bull put spread; and close out the other side of the spread as a separate order. The timing of closing out each side of the Iron Condor is dependent on following our Exit Rules described above.
If prices gap down tomorrow the call spread(s) may not be available as published and we will hold off on this part of the trade. Conversely if prices rise sharply then we will probably initiate the call spread(s) at higher strike prices with a similar risk profile as described above.
If prices gap up tomorrow the put spread(s) may not be available as published and unless the gap is filled we will hold off on that side of the trade. Conversely if prices drop sharply then we will probably initiate the put spread(s) at lower strike prices with a similar risk profile as described above.
Couch Potato Trader Disclaimer
All results reported in this section are hypothetical. While the numbers represented here may have been achieved or beaten by our readers, we make no representation that any individual investor achieved these exact results. The tracking for the plays listed in this section uses closing prices for the day the newsletter is published and it is not meant to imply that any reader actually received those prices (though many often do) or participated in these recommendations (even though many do). The portfolio represented here is hypothetical and for investment education purposes only. It is only an illustration of what type of gains a knowledgeable trader might receive utilizing these strategies. If you don't get close to these results, guess what. It isn't the fault of the strategies.